Skip to main content

Future Residents FAQ - General Questions

How do I apply for Housing?

Click here to apply for housing online. After you apply online you will receive an email regarding when you can access the self-selection portal to choose your campus living space. For incoming students, the housing application opens in December and the self-selection portal opens in June.

Please note: A student must be admitted as a full-time, undergraduate student before they are allowed access to the online Housing Application/Contract. Please allow 48 hours after admission for the system to update before applying for housing.


What is the housing requirement at EKU?

All single, full-time, undergraduate students under the age of 21, having fewer than 60 hours, or less than four academic semesters living on campus, are required to live in university residence hall facilities.

To be eligible for off-campus living, students must meet at least one of the following requirements. Students must be 21 years of age, have completed 60 hours prior to the first day of class of the current semester, or lived in campus housing for four academic semesters to live off-campus. Students failing to meet this requirement will be assessed a residence hall fee and board fees where appropriate.

An exception is made for students residing with their parents in the parents’ principal residence within 50 miles of the Richmond campus as determined by an official state map.

Students who wish to live with their parents in their principal residence must also submit a Commuter form. Students will be charged for housing until the commuter form has been submitted and approved by Housing & Residence Life. Students will be notified of approval/denial within 3-5 business days of receiving their commuter form. Forms must be submitted by the first day of classes to avoid additional charges and late fees. Falsification of information subjects the student to applicable fees and/or disciplinary procedures. Regardless of age, certain regulations apply in residence halls. The University reserves the right not to contract with persons who are currently violating the terms and conditions of a housing contract, who have previously violated the terms and conditions of a housing contract, who have violated University rules or regulations, or who have a past-due balance with the University.



Am I required to be on a meal plan?

"Meal Plans are Mandatory for Most Students - All full-time undergraduate students under the age of 21, having earned fewer than 60 credit hours, or less than four academic semesters living on campus, are required to live in University residence hall facilities and must choose one of the residential meal plans. If you do not enroll in a meal plan, the minimum plan will be assigned to you at the beginning of the academic term (5-Day All Access with 300 Dining Dollars).

All other EKU undergraduate students with 2 credit hours or more in on-campus courses are required to participate in the Dining Dollars program. The minimum plan, $300 Dining Dollars, will be assigned and charged to the student account at the beginning of the academic term. At the end of the academic year (spring semester), students who were assigned this plan may request a refund of any unused Dining Dollars." For more information visit the Colonel 1 Card Office website or call (859)-622-2179.


Do you have Family Housing?

We do not offer family housing facilities. Learn more about The Scholar House, which serves a similar purpose.


May I request a roommate (same gender)?

  • If you have someone you would like to live with, you can add a roommate to your group during Room Selection. Students will receive information to their EKU Email about roommate matching  prior to room selection.
  • Talk to your friend and develop a plan prior to Selection time. Remind them to complete their Housing Application. 
  • Both students must be willing to live with one another. 
  • The student with the earliest room selection date and time can select a room for both students, but both individuals must agree to live together, in the Residence Hall that was selected.
  • If you do not have a roommate, you can use the roommate match capability in the system. This gives you an opportunity to see how similar other students are to you, based on the Roommate Questionnaire you completed with your application. Only students in need of a roommate will be searchable during the process. 



What is the difference between double, suite, and apartment-style rooms?

The majority of rooms on campus are double rooms, meaning that two students occupy the room.

Suite rooms are located in Telford Hall and Burnam Hall, and are two rooms that share a common bath between them. 

Suite style rooms are located in South Hall and are between two and four double or individual rooms that share a common living space and bathroom. 

Martin Hall and North Hall, newer residence halls, are two rooms, each with a private bath, joined together by a living space. 

Our apartment complex at Grand Campus offers full apartment-style living for four residents. These apartment-style units have four individual bedrooms, each with a private bath, and a shared living room/full kitchen. All units come fully furnished at Grand Campus. 

We also have rooms that have been adapted to accommodate students with special needs. For more information on these spaces please contact Housing and Residence Life.


May I request a private room?

We do not offer private rooms to our residents due to space limitations. If you require a single room and are a sophomore or above, Grand Campus and the South Hall are options with single-person bedrooms.


When will I receive my room assignment?

Students who choose to self-assign their room will be able to immediately see their Housing Assignment upon reserving their room.  A confirmation email with this assignment will be sent to the student.  Students have access to the system to make room changes during spring and/or summer each year. Additional assignment information will be sent to students’ EKU email accounts once the self-selection period closes in early July. 

New students entering for the spring semester should receive their assignment email prior to the start of the semester in January.  Emailed assignment information contains the student's hall, room assignment, and roommate information.  We encourage students to contact their prospective roommate to get acquainted.

Students who apply after the halls open will be required to visit the Office of Housing & Residence Life, Whitlock 552, in order to apply and receive their room assignment. 


What if my roommate or Living Learning Community is different than I requested?

We hope that you are happy with your roommate.

College provides an opportunity to meet new friends and to spend time getting to know people from many different backgrounds. Limited space is available, so we cannot always guarantee that we can honor a change request. Notification will be sent to the student's email address if the request is processed. Due to the volume of students, we are attempting to accommodate, changes are not made after room assignments have been sent. After the school year begins, room and/or roommate changes may be made during scheduled times. A student may contact his/her Residence Hall Coordinator for assistance and information.TOP

When can I check in for any semester?

Check in at each residence hall begins on the date specified on the University calendar and ends at 5 p.m. the day classes begin.

Don't be a No Show. Failure to check in by 5 p.m. the day classes begin will result in the cancellation of the student's assignment. Arrangements for late arrival check in (after 5 p.m. the day classes begin) must be made in advance through the Housing Office during office hours or by contacting the Residence Hall Coordinator at the assigned residence hall front desk after opening and prior to the deadline.  Failure to make arrangements or otherwise alert Housing & Residence Life will also lead to an automatic housing charge being placed on the student's account.


Can I get my Pre-Payment back if I cancel my housing?

No, the Housing pre-payment is a non-refundable down-payment on your housing.  This applies directly to the total cost of your Residence Hall and is not kept separately for future semesters as a deposit.  As such, there shall be no refunds of any kind on the Pre-Payment.


Where may I do my laundry?

Laundry rooms with washers and dryers are located in each Residence Hall. Washers and dryers are now free for all residents. Please note amenities may change. Students must provide their own laundry soap. 


Where do I receive my mail?

Mailboxes are located in the Powell Student Center for U.S. mail, campus mail, special delivery mail, and packages.  To expedite delivery, please use the address below for the format you will need to use:

First Last Name:
Eastern Kentucky University
Mail Services, Powell Building
225 Park Drive
Richmond, KY 40475


Who cleans my room?

Students are responsible for keeping their rooms clean. If you are living in a suite or apartment-style room you are also required to clean the bathroom. 

A member of the custodial staff cleans community baths and common areas in standard Residence Halls. On a regular basis, hall staff conduct room inspections for safety and health. If rooms are left in poor condition, students face the possibility of extra fees. 


Where can I find a good place to study?

The Library has excellent facilities and resources for EKU students to utilize. Specific rooms and areas in the halls are designated for study, and all halls follow the established courtesy and quiet hours: Daily Quiet Hours - 9:00 p.m. to 8:00 am


Where can I find the rules that I need to follow while living on campus?

Rules that students must follow while at EKU are printed in The Residential Community Guide, the Student Handbook, Housing Contract, and other university publications. Many publications are available at residence hall check in, with others being available in the Student Affairs office or at the Housing Office.


What is visitation/open house?

Effective Fall 2021 –

Guests are permitted to visit at any time in all halls. Guests are not required to be checked in but should remain with the host at all times. All other university code of conduct and Housing & Residence Life Community Standards policies remain in effect.

Guests must be 18 or older to visit a resident in the halls. People under the age of 18 may be permitted in the building if they are with a parent or guardian between 10:00am and 8:00pm. Guests under 18 are not permitted to stay in any hall overnight.

Guest(s) in Room Occupancy

The number of guests at one time is limited to two people and residence life staff reserve the right to limit guest hour privileges. Double occupancy and simple suite-style rooms have an occupancy limit of 4 persons per room at any given point in time. Super-suite or apartment-style rooms are limited to 2 guests per resident or no more than 12 guests per suite or apartment at one time.


Cohabitation in the residence halls is prohibited. Cohabitation exists when a person who is not assigned to a particular residence hall room uses that room as if they were living there. The resident’s roommate’s comfort level supersedes all guest privileges. When a guest’s continual presence hinders a roommate’s ability to study, sleep, and/or occupy their room, this will be considered a violation of the cohabitation policy. Examples include, but are not limited to:

● Using the room while the assigned occupants are not present

● Utilizing a key/fob to enter a room assigned to another person

● Keeping clothing and personal belongings in another person’s room

● Sleeping overnight on a regular basis (more than 3 nights in a 7 day period)

● Use of the bathroom and shower facilities as if living in that room

Future Resident FAQs

Visitation is a time when a guest is permitted to visit with you in your room. All guests must be accompanied by the resident (host) who lives in that residence hall. You may only host a guest in the hall in which you live.

Residents who fail to escort guests while in the building will be subject to judicial action. Residents who host guests are responsible for the actions of their guests. Housing staff reserves the right to limit the number of guests.

Guests must be 18 or older to be in the building. People under the age of 18 may be permitted in the building if they are with a parent or guardian between 10:00am and 8:00pm. Guests under 18 are not permitted to stay in any hall overnight. The number of guests at one time is limited to two people and residence life staff reserve the right to limit guest hour privileges. Double occupancy and simple suite-style rooms have an occupancy limit of 4 persons per room at any given point in time. Super-suite or apartment-style rooms are limited to 2 guests per resident or no more than 12 guests per suite or apartment at one time.

Cohabitation (staying as a visitor overnight for more than 3 nights in a 7 night period) is prohibited in all halls.


 Who do I contact if I need help? 

The Resident Advisor (RA) is available for help and lives within your community. There are a number of RAs in each building and you should feel free to go to any of them.

Each building is also staffed with a Residence Hall Coordinator (RHC). The RHC is a live in professional staff member who is available to assist you with any issues that you may have.


Does the University insure my belongings?

EKU does not insure personal belongings and does not assume liability for theft or damage that occurs on campus. You are encouraged to obtain renters insurance to insure your personal property. 

You may already be covered if your parents have a homeowners or renters insurance policy. We encourage you to ask them about their policy coverage. We also have partnered with two insurance companies who have policies designed for campus housing. Visit Arthur J Gallagher and NSSI/National Student Services Inc. to learn more.

May I keep firearms and other such objects in my room?

No. Any objects with the potential to cause bodily harm to self or others are not allowed in the Residence Halls. These objects include but are not limited to: fireworks, explosives, Paint Ball markers, BB guns, shotguns, handguns, stun guns, knives, bows and arrows, various martial arts weapons, etc. Persons are prohibited from possessing firearms, explosives, or other deadly weapons on the campus of Eastern Kentucky University.


Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/