Skip to main content

Future Residents FAQ - General Questions

How do I apply for Housing?

Click here to apply for housing online. Once you apply online and make the $200 non refundable prepayment. You will then be notified when you may access the self-selection portal to self-select your campus living space. For incoming students, the housing application opens in December and the self-selection portal opens April. Access to the self-selection portal is granted in order of receipt of the prepayment, so apply early!

Please note: The student must be admitted as a full-time, undergraduate student before they are allowed access to the online Housing Application/Contract.


What is the housing requirement at EKU?

All single, full-time, undergraduate students under the age of 21, having fewer than 60 hours, or less than four academic semesters living on campus, are required to live in university residence hall facilities. An exception is made for students residing with their parents in the parents’ principal residence within 50 miles of the Richmond campus as determined by an official state map. Full-time students must be 21 years of age, have completed 59 hours prior to the first day of class of any given semester or lived in campus housing for four academic semesters to live off-campus for that semester. Students failing to meet this requirement will be assessed the lowest price residence hall fee and board fees where appropriate.

Students who wish to live with their parents in their principal residence must also submit an additional Living with Parent Verification form. Falsification of information subjects the student to applicable fees and/or disciplinary procedures. Regardless of age, certain regulations apply in residence halls. The University reserves the right not to contract with persons who are currently violating the terms and conditions of a housing contract, who have previously violated the terms and conditions of a housing contract, who have violated University rules or regulations, or who have a past-due balance with the University.


Am I required to be on a meal plan?

From the Colonel 1 Card Office website: "All on campus residential freshman and approved freshmen commuters are required to purchase a residential or commuter Meal Plan." For more information, either visit the Colonel 1 Card Office website or call (859)-622-2179.


Do you have Family Housing?

We no longer have family housing facilities. There is a program through Kentucky River Foothills which is located on EKU's Campus called The Scholar House which serves a similar purpose.


May I request a roommate (same gender)?

Students self-select their campus living spaces, so students who wish to live together may try and find an empty room during the self-selection period which begins in April and runs through the end of July. If an empty room is not available initially, students may check back throughout the summer for availability.  If roommates cannot find a space together during the self-selection period, they may request a room change during the campus wide room change period which begins shortly after the start of each semester. 


What is the difference between double, semi-suite, suite, and apartment-style rooms?

The majority of the rooms on campus are double rooms, meaning that two students occupy the room. Semi-Suite rooms are located in Telford and Burnam Halls, and are two rooms that share a common bath between them. Martin and North Hall, however both of these locations are brand new with modern conviences. Martin and North Hall are similarly two rooms joined together by a living space, but with separate bathrooms for each bedroom instead of one for all 4 residents. Suite rooms are located in the South Hall, and are between two and four double or individual rooms (respectively) that share a common living space and bath between them. Our apartment complex at Grand Campus offers full apartment style living for the resident and three other roommates. These apartment-style units have four individual bedrooms, each with a private bath, and a shared living room/full kitchen. All units come fully furnished at Grand Campus. Eastern also has rooms that have been adapted to accommodate students with special needs.


May I request a private room?

Beginning Fall 2016, we are no longer able to provide private rooms for our residents due to space limitations.  If you require a single-room and are a sophomore or above, Grand Campus and the South Hall are options with single-person bedrooms.


When will I receive my room assignment?

Students have continuous access to the system to make room changes throughout the summer. Assigment information will be sent to students once the self-selection period closes in late July and will be sent by to a student's EKU email. New students entering for the spring semester should receive their assignment letter prior to the start of the semester. Assignment letters contain hall, room assignment, and roommate information. We encourage students to contact their prospective roommate to get acquainted.

Students who apply after the halls open will have to come to the Housing Office, Whitlock 552, in order to apply and receive their room assignment. 


What if my roommate or Living and Learning floor is different than I requested?

We hope that you are happy with your roommate. College provides an opportunity to meet new friends and to spend time getting to know people from many different backgrounds. Limited space is available, so we cannot always guarantee that we can honor a change request. A letter of notification will be sent to the student's permanent address if the request is processed. Due to the volume of students we are attempting to accommodate, changes are not made after room assignments have been mailed. After the school year begins, room and/or roommate changes may be made during scheduled times. A student may contact his/her Residence Hall Coordinator for assistance and information.


When can I check in for any semester?

Check in at each residence hall begins on the date specified on the University calendar and ends at 5 p.m. the day classes begin.

Don't be a No Show. Failure to check in by 5 p.m. the day classes begin will result in cancellation of the student's assignment. Arrangements for late arrival check in (after 5 p.m. the day classes begin) must be made in advance through the Housing Office during office hours or by contacting the Residence Hall Coordinator at the assigned residence hall front desk after opening and prior to the deadline.  Failure to make arrangements or otherwise alert Housing & Residence Life will also lead to an automatic housing charge being placed on the student's account.


Can I get my money back if I cancel my housing?

No, the new Housing Pre-Payment is a non-refundable down-payment on your housing.  This applies directly to the total cost of your residence hall and is not kept separately for future semesters as a deposit.  As such, there shall be no refunds of any kind on the Pre-Payment.


Where may I live during breaks if I can't go home?

Residence halls will be closed and rooms may not be occupied during Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks except in the designated Academic Year Halls
Grand CampusWalters,  Martin, or South Hall. Residents of these areas may remain in their room during the break periods. No additional housing will be offered for break periods.


Where may I do my laundry?

Laundry rooms with washers and dryers are located in each residence hall. Washers and dryers are now free for all residents.


Where do I receive my mail?

Mailboxes are located in each residence hall for U.S. mail, campus mail, special delivery mail, and packages. A mailbox number (different from the room number) will be assigned at check in. Each hall has its own street address. To expedite delivery, please click on the link for your new hall to find the address and format you will need to use:

Burnam Hall Mailing Information
Clay Hall Mailing Information
Grand Campus Mailing Information
Keene Hall Mailing Information
Martin Hall Mailing Information
McGregor Hall Mailing Information
North Hall Mailing Information
Palmer Hall Mailing Information
South Hall Mailing Information
Sullivan Hall Mailing Information
Telford Hall Mailing Information
Walters Hall Mailing Information


Who cleans my room?

You. Each student is responsible for cleaning his/her own room. If living in a semi-suite, suite, or apartment-style room the resident(s) must clean the bathroom. A member of the custodial staff cleans community baths and the common areas in standard residence halls. The Custodian is an important member of our community and a person worth getting to know. On a regular basis, hall staff conduct room inspections for safety and health.


Where can I find a good place to study?

The Library has excellent facilities and resources for EKU students to utilize. Specific rooms and areas in the halls are designated for study, and all halls follow the established courtesy and quiet hours: Daily Quiet Hours - 9:00 p.m. to 8:00 am
(The hall councils may vote to extend these hours.)


Where can I find the rules that I need to follow while living on campus?

Rules that students must follow while at EKU are printed in the The Residential Community Guide, the Student Handbook, Housing Contract, and other university publications. Many publications are available at residence hall check in, with others being available in the Student Affairs office or at the Housing Office.


What is visitation/open house?

Visitation is a time when a guest is permitted to visit with you in your room. All guests must register at the front desk and be accompanied by the resident who lives in that residence hall. You may only register a guest in the hall in which you live.

Residents with non-registered guests or who fail to escort guests while in the building will be subject to judicial action. Residents who host guests are responsible for the actions of their guests. Housing staff reserves the right to limit the number of guests checked in at one time.

Guests must be 18 or older to be checked in. People under the age of 18 may be permitted in the building if they are with a parent or guardian (who is checked in as a guest) between 10:00am and 8:00pm. Guests under 18 are not permitted to stay in any hall overnight. The number of guests checked in at one time is limited to two people and residence life staff reserve the right to limit guest hour privileges. Double occupancy and simple suite-style rooms have an occupancy limit of 4 persons per room at any given point in time. Super-suite or apartment-style rooms are limited to 2 guests per resident or no more than 12 guests per suite or apartment at one time.

Visitation Hours:

All Halls:

Extended Visitation
7 days a week

Cohabitation (staying as a visitor overnight more than 3 nights in a 7 night period) is prohibited in all halls.

In all halls regardless of visitation hours, you and your guests will need to follow guest check in/out processes as outlined in the The Residential Community Guide.


If I need help whom should I contact?

The Resident Advisor (RA) is available for help and lives within your community. There are a number of RAs in each building and you should feel free to go to any of them. The other staff member in your building is the Residence Hall Coordinator (RHC). The RHC is a live in professional staff member who is available to assist you with any issues that you may have.


Does the University insure my belongings?

EKU does not insure personal belongings and does not assume liability for theft or damage. You are encouraged to obtain renters insurance to insure your personal property. You may already be covered if your parents have a homeowners or renters insurance policy. You may want to check with them.


May I keep firearms and other such objects in my room?

No. Any objects with potential to cause bodily harm to self or others are not allowed in the residence halls. These objects include but are not limited to: fireworks, explosives, Paint Ball markers, BB guns, shotguns, handguns, stun guns, knives, bows and arrows, and various martial arts weapons, etc. Persons are prohibited from possessing firearms, explosives, or other deadly weapons on the campus of Eastern Kentucky University.


Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/